Thursday 2 February 2012

Dowdy, my arse!*

You lot make me laugh, you know.

I don't know how things work in your friendships, but for me, it's generally a sign that a relationship is secure and well-established when you feel free to tease, reprimand or otherwise challenge a friend.

Since you all gave me a right old telling-off for my use of the D word, I feel that we are proper mates now - not got-to-be-polite-on-our-best-behaviour acquaintances, but real down'n'dirty truth-telling friends. You did make me smile!

To prove I listen to you, I have worn brown again today. And I feel neither drab nor dowdy, thank you.


   I defy anyone to feel anything other than delicious (a much better D word) in bright red and leopard print!





          I tip my hat to all you fabulous ladies who gave me a kick up the arse. In a loving way, of course.


Wool/cashmere blend cardigan and cotton skirt (20p each, jumble sale), leopard print blouse, belt, tights, bangles (charity shops), boots and leopard print trilby (Ebay)



I had a successful, if cold, morning at Chesterfield flea market today. I bought possibly my most unusual vintage find to date.






Just look at that! A stunning 1960s hand made velvet maxi coat. It was marked at £10 but because I bought a couple of dresses with it, the stall holder reduced the price to £7. Well, £6.66 actually, if we're being pedantic.  I nearly fell over with delight.



                                                      Praying to the vintage gods does work after all.



                                                                        Beautiful blue lining.



                                                 Charley, are you taking the piss? Or having a piss?

 



I tried on a maxi coat in mustard velvet in an antique shop in Matlock last year (see it here) but rather regretfully left it there as it was a bit pricey. But I wasn't leaving this baby behind! Where oh where will I wear this coat? I have no idea but as my Kerala-lovin' friend Vix's Grandma used to say, buy it and the occasion will present itself.


*Vix is responsible for this typically forthright challenge to my last post. Welcome home, Gorgeous!


                                                                         xxxxxxxxx  

25 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness, I have fallen in love with your coat! It is truly fabulous!

Anonymous said...

That coat!! Aaah, gorgeous!! Love the colours!!

Vix said...

I'm such a bully! I'm delighted it paid off though, I won't have my gorgeous Curtise ever saying she's drab or dowdy or that something doesn't suit her.
That velour coat is a triumph, I think I'm going to come over and meet you one day although I reckon we may come to blows if you spot stuff that fab first.
It looks amazing with that cheeky little mini, you making me all hot and bothered. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lucy joy said...

You are on fire Curtise! It just keeps getting better. I think.that coat is mine, I left it on a train, and I want it back, now!

mispapelicos said...

I have never seen a coat like thst in my life, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Louise Mc said...

OMG hat and OMG coat! I love them both, they are stunning. That coat is a real headturner, I can't wait to hear about the occassion for it as it's just great. X

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

*Screams* That cost is AMAZING!

Rose&Bird said...

WOW! WOW! WOW! That is the most amazing coat I have ever seen and you look stunning in it! I NEED to visit your flea market!

Miss Simmonds Says said...

oh my god... £6.66 the coat of the devil. If that's true then I'm heading to the darkside. The brown is also divine, especially with the red and polka dot!

You always look great!

Vintage Coconut said...

Red and leopard print?? *MEEEOOOW*
Lookin marvelous Curtise

I about fell over just getting to take a glimpse of that velvet maxi coat. (OOOO it is stunning and I am crazy about the colors)
*whispers* six sixty six?? I would have asked if I could pay $6.67 LOL
Beautiful lining and beautiful tights.

I lol'ed big time @ Charley EHAAHAH
He must be trying to steal your spotlight.

Fiona said...

Wowzers, what a striking coat and a maxi too, just what you need in these sub zero temperatures. Your remark re Charley made me smirk, he does rather look like he's squatting.

Krista said...

Yeah we don't candy coat sheet around here, and you looked killer anyway so there! I love the red and leopard and you always rock the killer boots! This maxi coat holy sweet you hit the mother load! This is perfect on you, the color the print and it was made for you and at $7....6.66 :) SCORE!!!!! I love it but not as much as I love you sweetie!
Krista

Hot Pink Combat Boots said...

Wow - love love love both looks. The first one is so inspiring - the red tights are surprising and discreet with boots/skirt. I actually found myself studying your outfit - perfectly put together.

The coat - I didn't realize was a coat until a bit into your post. How gorgeous - and practically for FREE. I love those shopping days.

You inspire me :)

Anonymous said...

I am trying to imagine where that fantastic coat was worn before...do you ever do that? wonder about the former lives of clothing?

I think the red/brown combo is a good color on you.

Trees said...

Woah that coat is AMAZING!! I am extremely jealous. Also I love the hat in your first post, I am really into hats at the moment - well I mostly like seeing other people wear them. I don't wear them much myself.

karensomethingorother said...

Now THAT is a fun coat. In fact, it may be the FUNNEST coat I've ever seen. I think if you wear it all the time, it will bring good things directly to you.

Vintage Sweetheart said...

OH my giddy aunt!! That velvet coat is freaking amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing. SO cheap too what a score. xxxx

Unknown said...

ha ha ha ha ha sorry first i have to mention Charley that made me laugh out loud. I must have missed your last post somehow. Now WOW that coat is lush, no its bloody gorgeous and it fits you like a dream ;-)) dee xx

Unknown said...

Oh My God! i am so jealous! this coat is out of this world!
I nearly bought a 60's velvet maxi coat last week, but was a bit too small.
I like your brown, leoopard and red plus the hat, your style is evolving in an excellent way, every time i check your blog it is super great Curtise!

Have a good weekend

Ariane xxxxx

Anonymous said...

All I can say is WOW that coat! So gorgeous!

Scarlett said...

Yes you are totally delicious in the red and leopard print (one of my fave combos too!). That coat is blooming amazing, what a gem and a complete bargain! Scarlett x

Kitty said...

I freakin g love your attitude, darl life is too short to be always self-conscious, eh?! The maxi coat is fab and I truly hope you won't be too timid to wear it in public A LOT.xxxxxxx.

his_girl_friday said...

I love the delicious brown and that crazy vintage coat!

Kylie said...

That is seriously one beautiful coat. And it's made of velvet! And you've got great legs too Curtise x

Forest City Fashionista said...

Red and brown together is wonderful and that belt makes your waist look teeny tiny (my waist is 30" too!).
That coat is definitely a "squee-worthy" find!