Monday 30 January 2012

A fumble at the jumble

I'm not going to moan any more about my ongoing snottiness. Really I'm not. I'm boring myself with droning on about it.

Instead, who fancies a fumble in the jumble? Me, that's who. There are so few jumble sales these days, I get very excited when I spot one advertised. Although Saturday's event didn't fulfil my fantasies of vintage goodies galore for tuppence ha'penny, I got a few bits and pieces, saw some friends, had a piece of cake, and it got me out of my slough of despond for an hour or so, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.







A lady behind the women's clothes stall picked this 1970s M&S skirt up to show her colleague, while laughing and shaking her head. "Crimplene!" she said with disdain, before chucking it back on the pile. I swooped, it was the only vintage item there, I reckon.

The sheer blouse has ruffles on the front, though you can't really see in the photos. It's cheap modern tat but I rather like it! Skirt and blouse - 20p each.





Tights, silver T-bars and suede belt all charity-shopped. I think the total spend must be around £6 - giving our Kerala-loving Vix a run for her money!



                                            This is what I actually wore today. I needed the colour boost.


1970s Austrian wool blend skirt, belt, bangles and leather shoulder bag (charity shops), boots and 1970s Sarah Coventry owl pendant (Ebay), sweater (jumble sale)






                                          The wise old owl of vintage - may he bring me vintage goodies aplenty!





I had an ulterior motive for going to the jumble sale. Our school fund raising group is holding its inaugural Rumble in the Jumble next month - guess whose idea that was? So I wanted to get a feel for how others do it, dos-and-don'ts, pricing, that kind of thing.

I think we should keep the prices low, we don't want stacks left at the end; we need lots of helpers so people can pay quickly and easily; and a separate area for tea, coffee and good quality cake is essential to keep punters there longer and boost their blood sugar levels (they may return to the fray for another rummage once they are refreshed!)

Any jumble sale aficionados out there with handy hints - please let me know your thoughts. If this one goes well, we could make it an annual event. And I kind of have a point to prove, as I think some of my colleagues think it's all a bit low brow - I need to convert them!

                                                                                 xxxxx

22 comments:

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Your outfits are getting better and better the snottier you are, so that's one advantage at least! Great jumble finds, and I love your second ensemble, beautiful colour on you.

I have been mooting jumble sales for our PTA for a while now - let me know how it goes!

Debberoo said...

Love both outfits! Will have to see if I can come up with any good Jumble Sale suggestions.

Krista said...

Don't you look lovely in that sweet blouse oh my so girley!!!!! Vix would be proud of these bargins! I hope someday I can go to a jumble sale we just don't really have those in the US. You look smoking HOT in your red outfit, the owl necklace and gold belt and perfect!
Lotsoflove~
Krista

Anonymous said...

I really love your first outfit - you look great!! :) xx

Miss Simmonds Says said...

aaah! The classic spot and swoop method of jumble-saling, I use it often! You look amazing, like a lovely summer sky, which I'm missing greatly at the moment xx

two squirrels said...

For someone who sick you look amazing!!! Just love the blue skirt and ruffle blouse, so so pretty.
Hmmmmm good jumble sale tip??? Good signage. That's it, good signage on where it is and where to go. I am sure you will have this covered, but it always gets me how many times it seems to be a last minute thing and it's done badly, leaving people confused and bewildered. Bewildered treasure hunters not good.
Love v
Oooo the owl is splendid.

Unknown said...

Hi Curtise!
May i say you look lovely in those 2 outfits?
The white ruffle blouse is so great on you, plus that wonderful skirt!

I love your owl as well!

Just got back from thrifting my main hobby since on sick leave! I should do a post on my thrift finds!

Good luck with the jumble sales!

Ariane xxxx

Rose&Bird said...

Yay for jumble goodies! You look great, the second outfit is my fave - lovely and colourful. Jumbles are rare here as well, but there's one this saturday. Tips for a jumble? Well, be sure and get some tips from Vix when she gets back! Keep prices low, 30-50p an item seems to be the going rate here for clothes, shoes anything up to £2 a pair. Advertise, advertise, advertise - that way you'll get plenty of punters.
Hope it goes well x

lucy joy said...

Loving your style - I'm equally impressed with the blue and the red ensemble.
I need to find some jumble sales.
No brilliant advice to offer, but a 30p
'lucky dip' containing bits of crap found lying around the kids bedroom floor tends to do well. You know the stuff, tiny notebooks those hard foam balls, hair clips on a pretty piece of card...we wrap them in magazine pages with some pretty string, display them in a basket with shredded paper. How pathetic it sounds!
Nevermind the snot - you're lookin' HOT!

Lucy x

Fiona said...

Ace outfits Curtise especially like the ruffled blouse and you look ravishing in red. I'm surprised to hear you say JS's are scarce up there, as Vix seems to go to one a week but here down south they are as rare as hens teeth. I have tracked one down next weekend though.
Good luck with yours, my only advice is make sure the heating is on, the last one I went to was in a church hall and it was like Ice Station Zebra! Punters won't stay long if they're freezing.

Unknown said...

I love love love both outfits! They both show off your gorgeous hourglass shape beautifully and while the blue/white/grey combo is delightfully cool and sophisticated, the red/gold is warm and passionate! And obviously I have missed a hair cut somewhere in my dreadful absence! Love! Sarah xxx

Anonymous said...

I have only ever organized one garage sale so I suppose that doesn't quite count. I love, love, love the red and gold outfit and those ladies' comments about the crimplene turned up a skirt that looks great on you.

Helga said...

Sad old git my arse! I find I often can't be bothered going out to live music anymore-I was really reliving my glory days!
Anyway,Fumble in the Jumble!!???YEAH! that sounds SO cool! Rumble in the Jumble is even better!
I love that crimplene skirt(how DARE those ladies scoff?!),it fits like a dream,and I love that blouse with it too!AND all accessorised beautifully!Of course!
What you actually wore is fantabulous also!EEEK! You stylish minx you,with an uber teensy waist,dammit!
Love you AND crimplene,you're the best inventions EVER!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

karensomethingorother said...

That's it. I officially COVET the necklace. It's so fun, and goes so awesomely with your outfit. Both outfits are good. I love the top one, and the fancy top. That was a lovely almost-spring combination.

Vintage Bird Girl said...

LOVE the blue outfit. The whole thing together looks fabulous. I adore the owl necklace. That sure is a treasure! Hope the snot goes away soon! Xx

Vintage Sweetheart said...

Were they crazy don't they know Crimplene is like gold to people like us?? That skirt looks lovely especially paired with those gorgeous t-bars. The red and gold is put together perfectly!! xx

mispapelicos said...

I love you in blue, but red love you, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Trees said...

Blue is totally your colour!

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Love the blue outfit on you. Oh and the owl necklace - adorable.

Jumble sales - low brow? Never! Yeah, low prices are de rigour. Advertising too. And get lots of stuff. Nothing more disappointing for us punters than an understocked jumble. Tea and cakes are essential. xx

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Love the blue outfit on you. Oh and the owl necklace - adorable.

Jumble sales - low brow? Never! Yeah, low prices are de rigour. Advertising too. And get lots of stuff. Nothing more disappointing for us punters than an understocked jumble. Tea and cakes are essential. xx

Vintage Coconut said...

I suppose you had the last laugh with that skirt. BECAUSE you look darn good in it and the blue tights youwore along with it add some funky flair!
20p Each?? WOWZAAA That's what I call a bargain.
(Vix WOULD be proud!!)
The red outfit looks really nice also that skirt is so pretty.

Now why am I NOT SUPRISED you too have a vintage owl necklace??
*heheh* Now I know NOT to wear mine in my next post because that would just SCARE everyone.

*Cries* I wanna come to your school jumble!! lol

Forest City Fashionista said...

Both outfits give you fab curves, but I do have a fondness for red--it does perk you up and I resort to it quite often. Ahhh, crimplene--everything my grandmother made me when I was a child was made of that fabric!